Global investment protection
The Dutch government has entered into Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs) with over 90 countries. Such treaties facilitate investments in politically challenging jurisdictions and offer, inter alia the following benefits:
- Fair and equitable treatment of investors
- Compensation in the event of a deprivation of assets
- Wide definition of “investment” and “investor”
- Access to independent arbitration forum (e.g. subject to ICSID and UNCITRAL rules)
- Judgements that are enforceable against sovereign states
The Netherlands is world-renowned for its position as a stable jurisdiction that provides benefits for structuring, including asset protection.